The annual Bartlett-Gruening Dinner is coming up this week, and I tried to come up with the top 5 reasons you should attend. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get the list down that far! Read on to see the top
5 6 7 8 reasons you should buy your ticket and join us on Wednesday.
8. It’s being catered by the Hangar, which makes great food.
7. There’s a desert auction. And, not to brag or anything, but I’ve heard there is going to be a pretty fabulous carrot cake on the auction block …
6. This is Alaska – how often do you get to spend an evening with other Democrats?
5. Changing the name from the Jefferson-Jackson Dinner shows the Democratic Party’s growth and improvement in civil rights; we want to be the party that learns.
4. There will be a tribute to the late Rep. Mike Miller, who was a heck of a guy. I happen to know from personal experience that he was gracious, kind, and interesting, even when he interacted with clerks behind the counter at the Juneau Racquet Club.
3. Both Senate Minority Leader Berta Gardner and House Speaker Bryce Edgmon will be in attendance – although I don’t know if Sen. Gardner will be rocking her pink hat like she did at the Tongass Democrats auction.
2. You’ll get to hear Mike Navarre, Kenai Peninsula Borough Mayor, give the keynote address. I’ve never heard him speak, but he is a good writer. Here is a My Turn from 2015 on the Medicaid expansion.
- And the #1 reason you should go? To help elect Democrats, of course – proceeds from the dinner will be used for that purpose!
General admission is $100, and $50 for Young Dems. Contact Chris Ashenbrenner (907-209-4888) or Kim Metcalfe (907-321-2936) for tickets today!
Call soon, though, because tickets are going fast!
Was this interesting? Would you like to read more? Let us know by hitting the Facebook Like button or leaving a comment!