What to do: Call our U.S. Senators every day until Jeff Sessions is either removed from consideration or confirmed as A.G. If you can’t get through by phone, use the links below to email. Then, keep calling until you can get through.
Here is a script from 5calls.
Phone: (202) 224-6665
Phone: (202) 224-3004
A few reasons that Mr. Sessions should not be U.S. Attorney General:
Here are just a few of the ACLU’s reasons why Sessions should be kept away from the AG spot or delayed as long as possible:
- He criticized the Obama Administration’s decision to no longer defend the Defense of Marriage Act, which was a critical step in ensuring marriage equality for all Americans. (Source) [3/5/17 UPDATE: The Youtube account referenced in this source has been closed, so I removed the link. Mary]
- Defended President-Elect Trump’s proposal to ban Muslim immigrants from entering the United States. (Source)
- Referred to the Voting Rights Act, a law that simply demands that every American’s right to vote is protected, as a piece of “intrusive legislation.” (Source)
- Once prosecuted civil rights activists for registering black voters. (Source)
- Supports a national 20-week abortion ban (Source), and has a 100% voting record from the National Right to Life Committee. (Source)
- Voted to defund Planned Parenthood (Source) and called for the Justice Department (which he is being nominated to lead) to investigate PPFA (Source).
- Was one of only 21 senators to oppose the McCain-Feinstein amendment on torture, which explicitly bans the CIA from using torture. (Source)
- Voted to reauthorize and expand provisions of the Patriot Act. (Source)
- Voted against the Violence Against Women Act. (Source)