As far as I can tell, at the time I am writing this, Jeff Sessions has not yet been confirmed as U.S. Attorney General. This is your last chance to call, and even if you have called before, I urge you to do it again. It’s likely that he will go up for a vote later today, so call as soon as possible.
What to do: Call our U.S. Senators every day until Jeff Sessions is either removed from consideration or confirmed as A.G. If you can’t get through by phone, use the links below to email. Then, keep calling until you can get through.
Here is a script from 5calls.
Phone: (202) 224-6665
2/8/17 note: When I called this morning, her voicemail inbox at the 202 number was full, but when I called her Alaska number and pressed option 2, I got a messsage stating it was her Washington office. Here’s the Alaska Office number: 907-271-3735, option 2. This may only work outside of normal Alaska business hours? – Mary
Phone: (202) 224-3004
2/8/17 note: I called his Alaska number and had no trouble getting through.
A few reasons that Mr. Sessions should not be U.S. Attorney General:
Here are just a few of the ACLU’s reasons why Sessions should be kept away from the AG spot or delayed as long as possible:
- He criticized the Obama Administration’s decision to no longer defend the Defense of Marriage Act, which was a critical step in ensuring marriage equality for all Americans. (Source) [3/7/17 Update: Source removed because YouTube account it linked to was closed.Mary]
- Defended President-Elect Trump’s proposal to ban Muslim immigrants from entering the United States. (Source)
- Referred to the Voting Rights Act, a law that simply demands that every American’s right to vote is protected, as a piece of “intrusive legislation.” (Source)
- Once prosecuted civil rights activists for registering black voters. (Source)
- Supports a national 20-week abortion ban (Source), and has a 100% voting record from the National Right to Life Committee. (Source)
- Voted to defund Planned Parenthood (Source) and called for the Justice Department (which he is being nominated to lead) to investigate PPFA (Source).
- Was one of only 21 senators to oppose the McCain-Feinstein amendment on torture, which explicitly bans the CIA from using torture. (Source)
- Voted to reauthorize and expand provisions of the Patriot Act. (Source)
- Voted against the Violence Against Women Act. (Source)