U.S. Congress is on “State Work Period” recess Feb. 20-24, 2017, aka “Resistance Recess.” All around the country, resistance marches and rallies will take place to stand up against the catastrophic actions being taken by the Trump Administration and Congress.
Murkowski and Sullivan Speaking to AK Legislature
Senator Murkowski and Senator Sullivan will each address joint sessions of the Alaska State Legislature this week:
- Senator Murkowski – Wednesday, Feb. 22, 11am-noon
- Senator Sullivan – Friday, Feb. 24, 10:30-11:30am
Both addresses take place in the Alaska State Capitol House Chamber. The public is welcome to attend, but seating is very limited.
I am not aware of any public events Sen. Murkowski or Sen. Sullivan may hold while they are in Juneau, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t happening. If you hear of one, my email address is email@example.com.
This week is our first opportunity to show Sen. Murkowski and Sen. Sullivan, in person, on our home turf, our objections to the Trump Administration and Congress’s actions since President Trump took office January 20. This is definitely THE WEEK for Alaskans to take action!
Be Seen, Be Heard!
During the Senators’ visits, there are three protest/rally events that I know of. There may end up being more, but these are what I am aware of at this time:
- Juneau People for Peace and Justice Stand with Refugees and Immigrants, Wednesday, Feb. 22, 7:30-8:30am, 4th Street in front of the State Capitol. See Facebook event here: Stand with Refugees and Immigrants
- Stand with Planned Parenthood Rally Wednesday, Feb. 22, noon-1pm, 4th Street in front of the Dimond Courthouse. See Facebook event here: Juneau Stand with Planned Parenthood Rally
- Resistance Recess / Represent the People rally in support of the environment, healthcare, community, and democracy Friday, Feb. 24, noon-1pm, State Capitol steps. RSVP at Resistance Recess or Represent the People.
As was mentioned often at the Women’s March-Juneau, we as individuals cannot sit idly by and let others do all the talking. Each and every one of us must take it upon ourselves to show up, to speak up, to resist. I urge you to please not let these protest/rally opportunities go by without getting involved and taking action. It’s imperative that our U.S. Senators know we will not accept what’s happening in Washington, D.C., that we will stand up and we will resist.
Spread the Word
Further, I ask that you help spread the word. Share the events on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, whatever social media platform you use. Call, text, and/or email your friends and family. However you engage with your community groups, encourage them to participate in one or all of these events. Don’t depend on someone else doing it. Each of us must rise up, stand up, and be heard!
You Can Visit Their Offices
Finally, Senator Murkowski and Senator Sullivan share a Juneau office at 800 Glacier Ave, Suite 101 (between Foodland and Downtown Union 76 gas station near Gold Creek downtown), phone (907) 586-7277, fax (907) 586-7201.
Millions gathered for Women’s Marches throughout the nation on January 20. It is clear such gatherings make a difference. No matter your issue — whether it be immigration, the ACA and health care, anti DAPL, climate change and the environment, LGBTQ rights, women’s rights, human rights, reproductive rights, voting rights, Russian hacking, or all of the above — let’s gather, stand up, be heard, resist!
Until next week….
Chair, Tongass Democrats